Saturday, September 4, 2021

Soul Survivor - Martin Wiles

Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28 NLT

A sudden noise alerted me that something wasn’t right.

As my daughter and I hiked a rain-swollen trail, I felt something wasn’t quite right with my left boot. Looking down, I saw the sole had separated from the boot. It barely hung on just at the tip. My daughter got a good laugh at my situation, but I didn’t think it was so funny. At least the temperatures were warm, so walking through the water with a wet foot, although uncomfortable, didn’t give me frostbite.

As I walked along, flapping, I suddenly heard a noise from my right boot. When I looked down, I saw the same thing had happened to it. Only this sole didn’t hang on for dear life. When I lifted my foot, it fell off. Now, I was soleless. For the next five miles, I carried my soles and walked in what had deteriorated to nothing more than moccasins.

Since the trail we hiked was extremely rocky, my feet soon began to hurt, slowing us down. We finally made it back to the car, but for the next week, my feet ached. Of course, my daughter, being an Essential Oil enthusiast, had oil that took away my pain.

The pain I experienced from walking soleless doesn’t begin to compare to the pain I will feel if I lose my other soul. The one Jesus refers to when He says to fear the One who can destroy both body and soul in hell.

Some believe our composition is three-fold: body, soul, and spirit. Others combine the soul and spirit part and view our composition as a dichotomy. And still, others believe we’re nothing but a body, which means death ends everything.

The Bible, while teaching the unity of our person, does teach that a temporary separation of our body and soul will take place at death. Our soul—the real us … our mind, will, and emotions—will live on until the final resurrection when Jesus will give us new bodies made for our eternal home and reunite them with our souls.

The larger question is not how all this takes place, but rather where we’ll spend eternity. In telling His disciples about their upcoming persecution, He warns them to fear the One who has power over the body and soul: God.

Death isn’t our end. We’ll spend eternity in one of two places: heaven or hell. Our choice for or against Jesus while we’re living determines which place we’ll go. God determines our destiny based on our choice to accept Him or reject Him.

Fear often means reverence, but in this instance, it probably means to be afraid of. Anyone who has this kind of power demands my attention and reverence.

I survived my soleless hiking trip, and we all can survive the after-death trip, too, if we choose to entrust our souls to Jesus Christ.

Will you be a soul survivor?

Prayer: Father, we thank You for providing a way for our sins to be forgiven and for us to be with You forever. 

Tweetable: Are you a soul survivor? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment