Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Working for Whom? - Martin Wiles


And let the loveliness of our Lord, our God, rest on us, confirming the work that we do. Oh, yes. Affirm the work that we do! Psalm 90:17 MSG
I wondered if what I did really made a difference.
I am a teacher—or so it says on the outside of a door leading into my classroom. Middle School. Language Arts. Five days each week, more than one hundred students enter my door because the law says they must, and so do their parents. And when they enter, the law and their parents expect me to teach them what I’m paid to teach them. In my case, writing, literature, spelling, and grammar.
Since I’m also a writer, I love the subjects I teach. Not much preparation required. I teach with enthusiasm, wanting them to understand how important good communication is…desiring that they love good literature which can take them to worlds they may never visit and open their minds to things they’ve never considered.
But I’ve not always enjoyed my jobs. Some titles I hated. I worked there because I had no other choice. I didn’t like whom I worked for, the place I worked at, or the salary I drew. In some cases, I didn’t even care for the people I worked with. I labored with a frown on my face and dreaded every day I had to enter the doors.
My perspective hasn’t always been a good one. According to the psalmist, however, I don’t work for a person, but for God. When I have that perspective, the possibilities are limitless and so is the way I conduct myself at my place of employment.
Rather than a job, my employment becomes a mission field. In my present case, that’s easy. I teach at a Christian school and can say God’s name and teach biblical integration as often as I want. Not so with every job I’ve had. Speaking about Christ could have gotten me laughed at, warned, or even fired.
No matter what we do, God can confirm and affirm that work. We work for the Lord, not the one who signs the paycheck. God can help us transform the atmosphere of the environment. We can smile, even when doing unpleasant tasks. We can show kindness, even around unpleasant work associates. And in so doing, we shine the light of Christ into our work world.
If your working world is dark, bring in the light of Christ.
Prayer: Father, may we be Your shining lights with every job You give us.

Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

2 comments:

  1. I pray that in my writing and all my life activities, I am shining His light so others can draw closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa. I pray that as well.

    ReplyDelete