Saturday, February 29, 2020

Tuning the Attitude - Martin Wiles


You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Philippians 2:5-6 NLT

Ah, the good ole days when a knob, a good ear, and a steady hand were all that was needed.
Radios have changed drastically since their invention. My wife and I once owned two old ones we purchased at an auction. They were heavy and filled with tubes that had to warm up before I ever had a chance of tuning in a station. I eventually sold them to a man who had an interest in old radios. Imagine my surprise when the tubes on one of them warmed up and a station came in that was clearly located in another country.
The radios I remember from my earliest years had no tubes, but finding a station still required fine-tuning. I had to maneuver the dials slowly and carefully to find a station, some of which were close to each other in identification.
And then came radios in cars. Radios where any and everything interfered with what I wanted to listen to. If I drove too far away from the station, I’d lose signal. If I entered a tunnel or went under a bridge, no signal.
Now, in my later years, I have the pleasure of Sirius or satellite radio. Though I may lose signal momentarily when in dead areas, I can normally listen to the radio without interference.
I don’t miss the days when I had to tune in a station—and perhaps look for another one. Sometimes, my attitude is as difficult to tune in as the old radios were.
Paul says my attitude should be like Jesus’. Though God, He humbled Himself and gave His life for humanity’s sins. He did not respond in anger or unkindness when others showed Him those same traits. Even while on the cross, He asked the Father to forgive those killing Him. He did not boast, quarrel, or show jealousy. Rather, He showed love.
Tuning in a bad attitude can’t be accomplished in my own power. Only God can show me a better way to respond to unpleasant situations or unkind actions by others. If I don’t depend on Him, static will cloud my mind, and I’ll find myself acting unlike Jesus did.
Beginning each day with prayer, ending each day with confession, and making many microwave prayers during the day will keep our attitudes tuned properly. And even if we fail, God is quick to give a second chance.
If you’re having trouble with your attitude, God will gladly tune it.
Prayer: Father, give us attitudes that would properly reflect You.

Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment