Thursday, October 10, 2019

Author Interview with Denise Weimer


Today, Love Lines from God welcomes Denise Weimer.

Denise, welcome. Tell us when you decided to become a writer. In other words, what made you actually sit down and write something?

My parents were avid historians who took me to historical sites across the Southeast when I was growing up. My active imagination would wonder who lived in those beautiful old homes and charming towns. Around age eleven, I started scribbling down stories about those people in spiral-bound notebooks. I’d read them aloud to my mother, who encouraged me to keep writing.

Every writer is eventually asked this question, but where do your ideas come from?

Most of my story ideas come from the legend, lore, or unique history from around my state: Georgia. I love to find a fascinating topic or event that most people don’t know about and explore it in story form. For instance, most folks are aware of the Amish, Shakers, and Quakers but are not familiar with the Moravians. The story line of my latest release from Smitten Historical Romance, The Witness Tree (The Witness Tree on Amazon), starts with a marriage of convenience in the Moravian town of 1805 Salem, North Carolina, and leads to a dangerous assignment in Cherokee Territory.

What is the hardest thing about the creative process of writing?

In the past, because I write from home and don’t have my own office there, and because my husband and daughters have all been on different schedules, the biggest challenge has been finding a solid chunk of uninterrupted quiet time. The creative process, at least for me, requires reflection and concentration. Mentally, you go to another place to find that flow.

If you’re a Christian, what are the challenges you believe Christian writers face now and in the future?

With a shrinking Christian market and fewer Christian publishers accepting overt presentations of faith in novels, now is the time for authors to learn how to better integrate faith elements into their stories. We should look at it as not all a bad thing, but a challenge we can rise to. Writing for entertainment alone is a worthy pursuit, but if you can share God’s truths organically with those who need to hear them but might have never picked up a “Christian” title, isn’t that why we’re here?

If you would, please tell us what was the hardest thing about writing your last book? How long does it typically take you to finish your books?

The amount of time it takes me to write a book varies a good bit. I write both historical and contemporary romance (check out Fall Flip on Amazon, a Hallmark-HGTV-style renovation romance released last month with Candlelight Fiction). Bet you can guess which one is quicker.

For my first published series, The Georgia Gold Series, I researched a full year before I ever started to write, then continued researching during the nearly three years it took me to write all four books. By contrast, the most recent book I wrote which is not published yet was a historical in a setting and time period completely new to me. But by a gift of God, I finished it in a blistering six weeks. And I believe it’s my best work yet. The mixed-blood hero of that story is a child at the mission school in The Witness Tree.

And the hardest thing about The Witness Tree, my last published book? Definitely the challenge of bringing two very different people groups together on the page in an accurate and respectful manner. The Moravians and Cherokees had completely different customs and could barely communicate when they started the school for the children of the chiefs.

On the flip side, what excites you the most about the creative process?

What author doesn’t love that moment when we’re in the zone and the words are flowing, and we know we’re communicating deep emotion or a truth of God that could impact someone for good?

Represented by Hartline Literary Agency, Denise Weimer holds a journalism degree with a minor in history from Asbury University. She is the Managing Editor of Smitten Historical Romance and Heritage Beacon Historical Fiction (imprints of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas, now Iron Stream Media) and the author of The Georgia Gold Series, The Restoration Trilogy, and a number of novellas, including Across Three Autumns of Barbour’s Colonial Backcountry Brides Collection. A wife and mother of two daughters, she always pauses for coffee, chocolate, and old houses. Connect with Denise here:







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.



1 comment: