Monday, April 15, 2019

Telling a Good Story - Martin Wiles

O God, we have heard it with our own ears—our ancestors have told us of all you did in their day, in days long ago. Psalm 44:1 NLT

As I sat very still, he told me the most interesting story I’d ever heard.

When I was nine years old, my dad told me a story. A story of how I had sinned against God, how God loved me, and how God had sent His Son to die for my sins. Then he asked me if I believed that. I said I did.

Dad told the story because someone had told him the story. I never knew my grandfather to be vocal about his faith, although he lived it out in very evident ways. Perhaps my grandmother told my dad. Or maybe a Sunday school teacher did. Regardless, someone told him, and he, like I, believed.

And someone told my grandparents. I had the privilege of having both of my great grandmothers around until I was seventeen. Both were godly women. I’m sure they told the story to my grandfather and grandmother. I don’t know any family history about the story beyond them, but someone must have told them. Without hearing, they could not have believed.

I kept the story going the other way. I began telling the story to my children when they were just babies. When they reached the age where they could understand the full implications of the story, I told them again and asked if they wanted to believe. They did. Now, they are telling the story to their children—who I hope will keep telling the story.

The psalmist had heard a story too. A story of how God had delivered His people from Egyptian slavery. A story of God’s love. And he, too, would keep passing along the story.

Of all the people we can and should tell the story to, our families should top the list. Sometimes they’re the most difficult to share with. We don’t want to create friction if we know they’re not interested in hearing. But God wants us to start with them and branch out. Knowing our family believes is comforting. We can look forward to a large family reunion in heaven with them . . . and all who’ve believed the story.

But word isn’t the only way we share the story. Consistent examples of righteous living are also essential. As others see our example, they are more likely to believe the story when we tell them.

Think of someone you can share the story with.



Prayer: Father, give us the urge to share the story of Your love with others. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment