Thursday, August 23, 2018

Hurry Up God - Martin Wiles

Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. Psalm 27:14 NLT

His impatience would have made us run a red light.

Our two-year-old grandson has just learned his primary colors. Everywhere we go, he points out those colors to us. He names them on each toy he picks up. And even when we stop at a red light.
“Go, Meme, go.”

He hates to stop when he is riding. Although he knew the light was red, it meant nothing to him. He just wanted the wheels to roll again. We had to explain that a red light means to stop. We couldn’t go until it turned green. Our explanation didn’t satisfy him. He wanted to go. Although he has now matured a little, he still hollers, “Go,” if we stop at a red light.

The psalmist, David, knew a little about waiting. He was sixteen years old when the prophet Samuel anointed him as king of Israel, but he wouldn’t take the throne until he was thirty. Nothing in the biblical record makes it appear that he tried to hurry up God.

Waiting on God’s timing isn’t easy, but it’s necessary if we’re to enjoy God’s best. Waiting requires trust. I have to believe deep in my soul that God has a plan for my life and that this plan is better than any I could manufacture. Otherwise, I’ll make my own plans and trot off in directions God doesn’t plan for me to go.

When I don’t wait on God, I’ll find myself making bad decisions that hurt me and others. The decisions may or may not be sinful. The issue is they are decisions God’s doesn’t want me to make. They may even be snap judgments rather than prayed-over conclusions.

Waiting on God’s timing puts me in line to receive His best, which is what He wants. It also helps me develop patience. The Bible is filled with examples of God asking the people He called into service to wait.

Pausing when it seems to make no sense is also a powerful witnessing tool. Others will notice how we are trusting instead of running off with our own plan. Which will give us the opportunity to tell them the reason for our course of action.

Don’t hurry up God by making your own plans. Wait on His. They are always better.



Prayer: Father, give us the patience and faith to wait on Your timing in all areas of our life. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment