Thursday, April 12, 2018

Never Too Close for Comfort - Martin Wiles

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed. Psalm 34:18 NLT
There is such a thing as being too close for comfort—but never with God.
I love being close to my wife. Sometimes in the evening hours after the grandkids have gone and the kitchen is clean, we sit together and watch M*A*S*H episodes. We snuggle, me with my arm around her and her with her head on my shoulder.
Nights are similar. We only have a full-size bed, but it wouldn’t matter if it was queen- or king-size. We’d still occupy the same space. We lie close to each other, often holding each other throughout the night. She doesn’t want her own space, nor do I.
I also enjoy being close to my children and grandchildren. Although my daughter and son are 30 and 26 respectively, they still get hugs. And so do the grandkids. They get many hugs and kisses. I want them to know they are loved. Especially if they are sad or hurt.
My personal space is different. While I don’t mind family getting into my personal space, I tend to back up when others enter it. If I don’t know them well, they can get too close for comfort.
The person who never gets too close for comfort is God. Never have I felt so close to Him as when I went through an extremely difficult divorce. It seemed I had lost everything, but He reminded me I had not lost Him. My favorite time of the day was when I’d lie down at night and pray. It was as if He was right beside me. And He was. He is close to the brokenhearted and calms those who have crushed spirits.
God is close because He cares. We are His children, His friends, His masterpieces in the making. Sometimes the making requires guiding us through tough times and at other times bringing difficulties into our lives. But He never leaves us. I may not feel His presence. He may even seem far away, but He never is.
God doesn’t deliver me from every difficulty, yet He won’t leave me to walk through them alone. Like a shepherd guiding sheep, He leads me, giving me wisdom and courage to face what is crushing my spirit.
Regardless of how you feel when times are tough, remember God is never too close for comfort.

Prayer: Father, thank You for bringing us comfort when our spirits are crushed. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment