Monday, March 26, 2018

A Taste Beyond All Others - Martin Wiles

Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him! Psalm 34:8 NLT
Loving to taste is why I’m where I am.
Though I love vegetables and meat, I’ve always had a taste for junk food. Nothing like sitting down with a bag of barbecue potato chips, a Reese’s peanut butter cup, and a glass of milk. And Little Debbie’s?  Any kind will do. Surely, God anointed the person who invented them. I’d rather eat a few of them than a homemade cookie or cake.
For many years, my taste never led to weight gain—and I wanted to gain weight. I was skinny and often made fun of. So I topped off my junk food diet with things like Weight On. Nothing worked. Around age 38, my wish to gain weight came true. The trouble was, I didn’t want to gain as much as I gained. Twenty years later, I still have to monitor my taste habits to maintain the proper weight level.
I think we’ll still enjoy eating in heaven—but with an added pleasure. I’ll be able to taste and consume anything I want without worrying about weight gain. The psalmist had another type of tasting in mind: tasting of the Lord to see how good He is.
When Jesus celebrated the Last Supper with His disciples, He gave them bread and told them to taste it. It represented His body which would soon be given for their sins and for the sins of the world.
Tasting the Lord involves accepting Him as my Savior, which is preceded by recognizing I’m a sinner in need of salvation. But doing this is only the beginning of a lifelong journey. Doing nothing more won’t let me experience how good He is.
On a regular basis, I must taste God’s Word. Like the bread, I must ingest it, let it settle into my inner soul, and then bear fruit in my actions. I’ll never know how good the Lord is without tasting His Word. Tasting is also more than just a quick read. I ingest by thinking about what the Word says and by asking God’s Spirit to lead me into full understanding so I can let it influence my thoughts, actions, and words.
I also taste when I ask God to give me a continual hunger for Him. A hunger to know Him better. A hunger to understand His ways more fully.
Don’t back away. Taste and see how good God is.

Prayer: Father, motivate us to taste of You daily so we can experience the fullness of a life lived well. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's Word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment