Monday, November 13, 2017

Like a Rock - Martin Wiles

The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. Psalm 18:2 NLT
Rocks could be my best friends or my most scathing enemies.
Encountering rocks is a common experience when hiking in the mountains. During the years that my brother, children, and I hiked, rocks became a common feature on the trails we traveled. Sometimes they slowed us down significantly.
One of our favorite mountain destinations required passing over a mountain appropriately named Rocky Mountain. Especially in the winter months, we had to choose our steps carefully. Rocks were wet, and water turned to ice during the cold months. These same wet rocks attract algae in the summer months, making them as slippery as when they are coated with ice.
But rocks are also advantageous. When on a steep incline of a particularly high mountain, rocks provide firm footing that soil itself doesn’t give, making the climb easier.
Using a metaphor, David said his God was a rock. Certain characteristics of God reminded David of rocks, which he was no doubt familiar with. He had been a shepherd who allowed sheep to graze in fields dotted by rocks.
I’ve discovered the same truth as David did. Like a rock, God remains when others walk out. Large boulders are unmovable without heavy equipment or geographical upheavals. I can depend on God to be there for me when others aren’t. He will never disappoint me. Rock slides are common in the mountains, but God is not like any of those rocks that were dislodged by water, construction, or tremors. He remains steadfast.
Like a solid rock, God provides better footing for life. When I stand on a relationship with Him and the principles of His Word, my life footing is solid. Even when troubles and trials come, He will give me the footing of grace, wisdom, and faith to press on without bitterness, anger, and frustration.
Like many rocks, there is more of God than I ever see. The bulk of many rocks is underground. The evidence of God’s work in my life is never as apparent as what is actually happening. He is forever behind the scenes molding me into the image of Christ and working for my good. In tragedies, crises, and tough times, He may seem hidden, but never is.
Let God be the rock in your life. He will never disappoint you but will provide the stability you need for every life event.

Prayer: Father, be our rock of refuge we run to and stand upon during the course of our life. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment