Saturday, October 22, 2016

Truth That Never Changes - Martin Wiles

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. 2 Timothy 3:16 NLT

I don’t remember whether Mom and Dad explained the importance of what I was watching on the television or not, but I remember watching with great interest. 

Just shy of nine years of age, I sat in the den of a church parsonage and stared at a small black and white television set. The date was July 1960, and American Neil Armstrong was about to be the first man to set foot on the moon. 

Though I didn’t know it at the time, I discovered later that a number of Americans didn’t really believe anyone was on the moon. I suppose they still thought it was impossible for a space machine to be launched from earth and land on the moon—much less that someone could walk on the moon. In spite of evidence to the contrary, some simply wouldn’t believe. 

In giving instructions to a young minister, Paul reminded Timothy about the nature of God’s Word. He, too, would encounter some who would simply not believe its message in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Almost 2,000 years of history hasn’t changed anything. Opinions about the Bible vary. Some believe every word in it is truth while others believe nothing in it is true. Many are in the middle. They believe it records truth where faith and some historical matters are addressed but have no confidence in it when it speaks of scientific things and many historical events. For them, it’s mostly a collection of myths, legends, and fairy tales. 

I have only two choices when it comes to God’s Word: it’s either truth completely or not truth at all. If I can’t trust what it says about scientific and historical matters, then how can I be sure it speaks truth when it addresses matters of faith? 

Accepting God’s Word is an act of faith just like my belief in Jesus Christ as my Savior. I must believe God breathed the words, and that those words show me the way He wants me to live, think, and speak. 

Measuring my actions and attitudes by the Bible’s teachings shows me where I need to make changes. Believing its teachings and promises and watching them fulfilled in my life reinforces its validity. What I believe about God’s Word will show up in my lifestyle. 

What do you believe about the Bible?

Prayer: Father, give us courage to take the step of faith by believing the Bible is Your true Word to us.

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment