Saturday, December 19, 2015

When God Says “Come” - Martin Wiles

Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.” Matthew 14:28 NLT

He had called me to come before…but never like this. 

The first time I came was as a fisherman. My brother and I were cleaning our nets when he came strolling along the beach. He invited me to leave my nets and way of life and fish for people. A strange call, but I followed. Most recently, he had invited me to figure out how I and the other disciples would feed 5,000 men plus women and children that had been listening to him teach. He sat the crowd on the ground in groups and told us to pass out the pieces of the five loaves of bread and two fish we had scrounged up among the people. 

Miracles seemed to follow Jesus. He sent the crowds away after he fed them. He sent us away as well. While I and the other disciples were in the middle of the lake, a storm arose. When it seemed we would die, Jesus came walking to us on the water. Once I realized it wasn’t a ghost, I thought I might like to try what he was doing. So I asked. And he said, “Come.” 

Peter was an impetuous sort of fellow, willing to try most anything—which could be good or bad. Sometimes he strutted like the sole cock in the chicken yard. At other times, he failed miserably. To his credit, he accepted Jesus’ invitation to walk on water. 

Jesus’ invitations to “Come” are varied. He’s issued invitations to me numerous times over my lifetime. Sometimes, I’ve listened and obeyed. But there have been those instances where my faith faltered, and I said “No.” He calls some into full time ministry, some on short term mission trips, some to the hospitals, and some to the local women’s shelter. Others he beckons to the classrooms, their neighbors, and the local fire departments. 

Where God’s invitation takes me is not nearly as important as my willingness to “Come” where he invites me to. If you listen carefully, you might just hear him calling you now. Peter did.

Prayer: Father, give us faith and courage to come where You invite us to go.

Christmas Sale. Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? All print books 50% off. Use coupon WBC50. Click here to see selections.  





Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment