Thursday, June 25, 2015

Foundations Are Essential - Martin Wiles

But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit. Jude 20

While most attention focuses on its height, what’s below is crucial. On January 4, 2010, the Burj Khalifa opened in Dubai. At 2,717 feet, it is the world’s tallest building, doubling that of the Empire State Building. While the height is impressive, the foundation is even more so. For one year, workers laid 58,900 cubic yards of concrete 164 feet beneath the surface. Without a solid foundation, however, this impressive building could easily crumble into a pile of rubble.

Jude—brother of Jesus and James, cautioned early believers to remember the warnings of the apostles. False teachers would attempt to infiltrate the church and pull Christians away from the truth. Only as they built their lives on a foundation of holy faith and allowed their lives to be directed by the Spirit could they survive.

Faith is the foundation of my connection with God. I can try other ways, but without it I cannot please him or hope to experience forgiveness. I’m saved by grace, not works. If it were works, I would have some reason to boast—and I don’t. God’s grace is sufficient, and without it I’m doomed. Because of his grace, all of my sins are cast aside and no longer held against me. Christ has taken my sins upon himself so I wouldn’t have to pay for them. Along with forgiveness, God presents me with the gift of his Spirit. Through the indwelling Spirit, I’m able to know the mind of Christ, obey his commands, and experience the growth of my faith. I don’t have to wander aimlessly through life. Rather, I can know and live out God’s plan. Through the power of his Spirit, I can successfully obey his directives for my life. Yet, God doesn’t expect me to do this alone. I’m responsible for encouraging others who are on this same journey that I am. 

Don’t build your life on anything else but the solid foundation of faith. 

Prayer: Father, enable us to build on the faith You have given us.

 ______________________________


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment