Monday, April 21, 2014

Enjoy the Journey by Martin Wiles

When finishing the task is all that’s on my mind, I don’t often enjoy the journey.

I’m task oriented. Born with a Type A personality and two parents who had the same, I was marked from the beginning. With no chance at being laid back, I live life with rapid fury. How I functioned in college, in particular, illustrates this well. Within the first two days of a semester’s beginning, I received all my syllabi. Contained in those pages were numerous papers I was required to write to receive credit for the course. Rather than waiting until the last minute like many of my classmates, I immediately put my assignments in order by date and began pecking away to complete them. Perhaps my anxiety and hurriedness along the way prevented me from enjoying what I could have learned during the research and writing phase of each project. 

The Israelites Moses led to the Promised Land didn’t enjoy the journey either. And the people thirsted there for water, and the people complained against Moses, and said, “Why is it you have brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our livestock with thirst?” (Exodus 17:3 NKJV) 

When I’m enjoying the journey, I’ll learn lessons along the way in addition to the ones I discover when I reach the end. I’ll understand how to trust God to meet my needs not only in the end but along the way also. Happiness, peace, and contentment can be mine during the trek. 

Enjoying the journey reminds me that my Christian pilgrimage isn’t just about reaching heaven. Earth is the proving and preparation grounds for my eternity there. Taking pleasure in the earthly sojourn gives me experiences to learn from. I can then use these lessons to assist others who are facing similar circumstances. 

When I get pleasure from the journey, I’ll appreciate the end product more. Are you enjoying your journey?

Prayer: Father, may we take pleasure all during the trip and not just at the final stop. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment