Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Where Are You Headed? by Martin Wiles

If you don’t know where you’re headed, how will you know when you arrive?

My car sits in the driveway, waiting patiently for my arrival. Eventually, I make my appearance, open the car door, insert the key into the ignition, and crank the car. Slowly I back out of the driveway, put the gearshift in drive, and proceed to the stop sign at the end of our subdivision. After making a left turn, I travel 500 yards to the next stop sign, and then turn left again. Now I have a straight shot for as far as I want to travel. What my eventual destination would be, I’m not sure. And is it even the direction I really want to travel? If I haven’t planned where I’m going, how will I know when I get there? And where is there? How do I know I’ll enjoy myself when I get wherever there is? 

Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the safe path. (Proverbs 4:26 NLT)

There have been more than a few occasions when the path I traveled was crooked and definitely unsafe. God gives me the freedom to head for trouble or into sinful actions if I choose, but the consequences outweigh any apparent enjoyment the destination promises. 

After arriving at and tiring of those disappointing destinations, I’ve headed toward repentance. Repentance turns me to an opposite course and re-directs me to God and his plan for my life. Repentance and confession have occurred more than once for me, because there has been more than one instance when I’ve headed the wrong way. But God is always willing to give me one more chance.

When I head in God’s direction and seek his goals, I can live with confidence, joy, peace, and purpose. Where are you headed?

Prayer: Give us courage, Lord Jesus, to head in the directions Your Word instructs us to. 

Martin N MichelleThanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment