Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chosen Not Substituted by Martin Wiles

They weren’t what the doctor prescribed, but according to the pharmacist they accomplished the same results. 

Visiting the doctor isn’t my favorite activity. Maybe I’m afraid of what he might find…or charge for my visit…or that he will prescribe distasteful medicine. But when I’m feeling extremely blah and over-the-counter medicine hasn’t worked, I gladly generate the appointment. Often, however, when presenting my prescription to the pharmacist, I hear, “We don’t carry what your doctor prescribed, but we have substituted…” As long as it delivers the same punch, I’m okay with the replacement. But I wonder, “If the substitute is as good as what the doctor originally prescribed, why didn’t he prescribe that in the first place?”

Thankfully, there is no substitute involved in my relationship with Christ. You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit. (John 15:16 NLT) 

Christ chose me because he had a purpose for me not because I emerged from his twiddling thumbs on one of his more boring days. My birth was planned…not an accident resulting from other’s poor choices. But I must discover his specific purpose. When I do, I’ll know because my life will take on a sense of fulfillment.

I was chosen because God had a destiny for me in mind. I’m not aimlessly wandering toward the end of my life with nothing to anticipate thereafter. A place in heaven is presently being prepared. A place where I will enjoy the presence of God and the company of saints from all ages. 

God has also chosen me to take a journey with him. Accepting his forgiveness for my sins and nothing more is not his plan. He wants me to grow in Christ likeness through Spirit-led concentrated efforts that will form me into a little Jesus. 

Are you enjoying the results of being chosen by Christ?

Prayer: Thank You Father for selecting us as Your own. Guide us to fulfill the destiny and plan You have in mind.

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed your post. The clarity and the way you zeroed in on the truths you presented. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Anne for stopping by and for the encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete