Thursday, November 21, 2013

God’s Guardrail by Martin Wiles

Have you ever thanked God for a guardrail? I’m not sure I have, but I know my grandfather did.

My uncle, aunt, and cousins enjoyed traveling to the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. Places like Cherokee, North Carolina, and Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Sites where the roads were mountainous and curvy. I’m sure I went with them a time or two when I was a small lad. While I don’t specifically remember those trips, I do remember my grandparents going. And my grandfather was always overjoyed to return to flat land and straight roads. Apparently, my uncle took the mountainous curves a little too quickly for him. He was always thankful for the guardrails.

Life has taught me the importance of another type of guardrail. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalm 119:11 KJV)

Guardrails aren’t indestructible. If the right size vehicle crashes into them with the right amount of force, they’ll be destroyed or severely damaged. Not so with God’s Word. It is indestructible, but better yet…trustworthy. Regardless of the circumstance I need guarding against, it has the ability to guard by delivering practical wisdom for daily living. What is written was God breathed.

After a period of time, many guardrails need replacing. Years of enduring inclement weather eventually wears them out. God’s Word, however, never corrodes, loses its luster, or needs replacing with more politically correct ideas.

And whereas abuse can make a guardrail unsightly or cause it to need replacement, abuse never does the same for Scripture. Many in history have neglected it, railed against it, and even attempted to destroy it, but it stands now…and forever.

God’s Word has the power to guard us from sinful crashes. Are you allowing it to do its job in your life?

Prayer: Thank You Father for providing all that’s required for successful and pure living in the teachings of Your Word.

Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment