Monday, October 21, 2013

Decisions, Decisions by Martin Wiles

I face them every day. Some I give little thought to, but others I make only after great deliberation.

My life has been filled with decisions. Enough to fill a book. Many of them minor, but quite a few major. I decided to get out of bed this morning and go to work. I could have kept sleeping, but I would have had to call in and tell a lie in the process. I would have lost one of my vacation days and possibly my job if the truth was discovered. A somewhat minor decision, but one that could have negative repercussions.

Moses had some tough decisions as well. He was leading a cantankerous group of people through the wilderness toward the Promised Land, but there was no end to their complaining. Then Moses cried out to the LORD, “What should I do with these people? They are ready to stone me (Exodus 17:4 NLT)!”

The question I ask myself is, “What do I base my decisions on?” Do I base them on my emotions? If so, I’m in trouble. God created all of my emotions, so they are healthy in and of themselves. But they are also very fickle and change regularly and rapidly. One occurrence can take me from happy to angry.

I can also make decisions based on my interests. This may be acceptable if my interests are aligned with God’s plan for my life at a particular time. Otherwise, interest-based decisions can take me down paths of disobedience. Since I constantly do battle with my fleshly nature, this can happen very easily.

So what should I base my decisions on? Prayer, the principles of God’s Word, and the direction of his Spirit. Are you allowing God to help you make the major as well as the minor decisions of life?

Prayer: Eternal Father, may our decisions be made only after we’ve consulted You.

Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment