Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hope Assured by Martin Wiles

As a child, I had hopes. As an adult, I still cling to some of them, but I’ve also formed others my childhood mind couldn’t comprehend.

I hoped to make it to adulthood where I could enjoy life apart from my parent’s control. I hoped to find a good job so I could live comfortably. I hoped to make good grades in school. (That was an earlier hope. By the time I reached high school, I no longer cared.)

As an adult, I hope to avoid contracting a fatal disease that leads to an earlier than normal demise. I hope my children will serve the Lord. I hope my wife and I will grow old together. I hope, I hope, I hope. But I have no guarantee any of these hopes will actually materialize.

But the hope I place in God is quite different. Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see (Hebrews 11:1 NLT).

In Biblical terminology, hope is a synonym for faith. My hope in God is not wishful thinking as it was when I hoped I’d receive certain items or that certain circumstances would materialize. Rather, my spiritual hope is a confident assurance that God’s promises to me are as certain as the sun rising tomorrow and each morning thereafter.

God assures me that in Christ my sins are forgiven if I ask. I believe him. He tells me I can live abundantly now…and I can. He also claims he’s preparing a future home for me. I haven’t seen it, but I’ve read about it. And I believe there’s such a place. My faith engages confidence along with anticipation…and I’ll not be disappointed.

Who or what are you placing your hope in?

Prayer: Thank You Father that we’ll not be disappointed when we place our hope in You.

Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment