Tuesday, June 11, 2013

God’s Undo’s by Martin Wiles

I suppose I re-typed many things before I uncovered the meaning of the small backward facing curvy arrow nestled in the quick access toolbar of my Word document.

Somewhere in my journey of learning the ins and outs of computer technology, I discovered the Undo button. A marvelous little gem, probably invented by some young whipper snapper who had enough sense to think, “There must be a better way to undo my foibles than having to re-type them.”  The Undo button saves a mound of frustration. If I change something but don’t like it, I simply click the arrow. Or if I inadvertently delete something? Undo.


“If this is how you intend to treat me, just go ahead and kill me. Do me a favor and spare me this misery (Numbers 11:15 NLT)”! I imagine Moses would have eagerly pointed his mouse arrow at the undo button and clicked if he could have. He reluctantly agreed to lead God’s people out of 400 years of slavery only to have them complain, complain, and complain some more. Not enough water. Not enough meat. Too hot. Mouths salivating for the wide variety of food they consumed in Egypt. 

God is omnipotent and could easily undo my unpleasant situations if he desired. More often than not, however, he allows me to travel through them without the option of undoing them. By doing so-and if I’ll respond correctly, he’ll teach me important life lessons…trust me, obey me, and follow me when it doesn’t make sense.

Learning to rely on God through the tough times keeps us humble and reminds us we really don’t control anything. Whatever we can do, God can do better. Those things it seems we can handle, God can control better.

When you’re tempted to cash in by clicking life’s undo button, trust God instead.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, rather than allowing us to undo our unpleasantries, remind us to trust You instead.

Do you know someone who might need a daily dose of encouragement? Why not forward this site to them?


No comments:

Post a Comment