Saturday, March 2, 2013

Overcoming Inadequacies by Martin Wiles

Out of kilter and out of my comfort zone. I felt inadequate.

Bible college was behind me, but no church was in front calling me as pastor. Needing to support a family, I took a temp job at a local factory that manufactured sky lights. My responsibility was constructing oversized windows. In addition to everything else that was unfamiliar, the measurements were in metrics rather than inches and yards. Occasionally, I also had to fill in on the assembly line. Another element I’d never experienced before. Training was sparse. I felt totally inadequate to fulfill my responsibilities.

Moses shared my feelings of incompetence when God assigned him a task he felt he didn’t measure up to. “You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.” But Moses protested to God, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?” (Exodus 3:10-11 NLT)


God provided resources to help Moses overcome his low self-esteem. He assured him of His presence, sent his brother Aaron to assist, and gave him miracle performing abilities. God built Moses’ confidence and gave him courage by reminding him that the great I AM was with him.
 
What God calls us to do might appear difficult, cause us to be unpopular, or even lead to suffering, but God can extinguish the fear that often builds in our minds-fear that can lead us to panic and give up. He’s stronger than our feelings of inadequacy and will never call us to a mission he doesn’t equip us for. He’ll provide the needed resources, help, and confidence. We can’t fail at what God asks of us when we trust him for wisdom and direction. Give God your feelings of inadequacy, and move forward in his strength.


Prayer: Lord Jesus, we confess our frequent feelings of inadequacy to complete what You call us to do. Give us the needed faith to trust You for the provisions we need to do Your will.

A year's worth of devotions to start or finish your day on an encouraging note. Click the picture for ordering information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment