Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Principles Worth Pursuing-Living For The Future by Martin Wiles

Series: Principles Worth Pursuing

I muttered it under my breath hundreds of times and occasionally even aloud: “I can’t wait until I’m eighteen so I can do what I want.”

My parents and I didn’t have the healthiest relationship during my teen years. I was to blame. Rebellious, obstinate, sarcastic, overly independent. Traits they tried to tame-or at least temporarily control, while at the same time encouraging me to channel their positive aspects in beneficial directions. But I wasn’t cooperative. I was living for the future and freedom.

True to my word and plans, I moved out as soon as I conquered eighteen. Life was good-at least temporarily. But I quickly discovered my parents had covered expenses I hadn’t thought about. My future wasn’t what I imagined.

Preparing for the right future is essential. Jesus said, But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal (Matthew 6:20).

The future I planned for was of the earthbound type. No parental control or rules. Doing whatever I wanted whenever I pleased. Freedom at its finest. Supposedly. At mid-life, my flawless future is quickly unraveling. With more miles behind me than in front, Jesus’ future is now more important. One where everything-me and my possessions, are eternal. A future where nothing deteriorates. By chasing my love for God with obedience to his commands, by living a lifestyle demonstrating awareness that my body is his temple, and by loving others enough to sacrifice for them as Jesus did for me, I amass indestructible heavenly treasures. Living for the future entails a different kind of existence in the present. Let God match your portrait of the future with his.

Prayer: Almighty God, give us wisdom to prepare for our future even while we live in the present.


1 comment:

  1. Ah yes the "wonder years" :) It really is a wonder we survive, but so glad the Lord pursues us til we learn we need Him.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete