Thursday, June 14, 2012

God’s Retirement Plan by Martin Wiles

Series: Psalm 23 for the 21st Century
I’ve worked in places that had a wonderful one, others where it was mediocre and some where there was none at all. I’ve contributed when possible and opted out when it wasn’t.

Social Security is the only retirement plan many in the United States of America have. For the fortunate who work at places where retirement contribution is offered, hope is brighter than it is for those whose only expectation is a system teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.

Even the best retirement plans have occasional hiccups. No one can predict the flow of a country’s economy. What’s gained during several up years can be lost entirely during a few down years. The rise and fall of stock and bond prices is unpredictable.

David’s hope was more secure than hope in Social Security or the best laid out portfolio. And I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever (Psalm 23:6 KJV). God was his shepherd now and would be throughout eternity. Regardless of his life trials, his ultimate investment was safe.

I’ve watched my retirement investments dwindle during a sour economy and blossom in boom years. I’ve built retirement funds only to deplete them when unforeseeable circumstances came along.

But my sole hope isn’t Social Security or retirement investments. A relationship with a God who promises to care for my every need is my chief investment. He knows the details of my circumstances and why I’m where I am at present. Even if my only departing treasure is the casket I’m buried in, I’m a rich man. As a joint heir with Christ, everything he has is mine-and that’s everything. Invest in the only secure retirement fund available-a relationship of faith in Jesus Christ.

Prayer: Eternal Father, may our eternal investments be made in heavenly funds that only gain and never lose.

1 comment:

  1. God you are my sole source of a contented heart in this world. My heart has been caught up with various things in the past. Inevitably I get caught up in things outside of you. Without fail I find myself in worry, anxiety, and guilt. As I turn to you and look for your cleansing power, you comfort me and give me a life of pure love and contentment in nothing material or superficial. Your love and your ways allow me to foresake Everything and find a "full" life filled with amazing loving friends and a heart filled with love, humility, and compassion. A heart that could never be from me solely. The world will never understand your ways. But I am happy to be your foot soldier presenting your ways to the world.
    Father I love you and I pray you never let me go. Hold me close to your love and truth. Let me never fall back into deception and darkness. I pray your light on this world.

    ReplyDelete