Monday, February 13, 2012

Weed Management

Matthew 13:25 But that night as the workers slept, his enemy came and planted weeds among the wheat, then slipped away. (NLT)

Weeds are a nuisance. I suppose God has some purpose for them but I’ve not discovered it yet. Clover slowly covers the beautiful grass in our front yard. I spray it with chemicals only to see small patches I miss spread with vengeance. My garden is similar. Regardless of the tilling and spraying, weeds appear and spread if I don’t control them. The farmer in Jesus’ story experienced the same. While he slept, his enemy sowed weeds among his wheat. He couldn’t pull the weeds without uprooting his crop, so they both grew together until harvest. He had to be satisfied with a weedy field, but I don’t. The most challenging weeds appear in relationships. It’s inevitable others will sow weeds of discouragement, gossip, unkindness, and negativity in our fields of optimism-usually while we sleep. But we don’t have to let them take over. No one can steal our joy without our permission.

Pray that God will transform other’s weedy seeds into kindness, optimism, and encouragement and help you maintain a positive focus.

1 comment:

  1. Good message, Martin. I so often sew my own weeds in my garden with discouraging thoughts. I'm learning to "tell myself the truth" instead. Thanks, Gail

    ReplyDelete