Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Little Me Big God

Matthew 13:32 It (mustard) is the smallest of all seeds, but it becomes the largest of garden plants; it grows into a tree, and birds come and make nests in its branches. (NLT)

I’ve never planted mustard seed but I have planted seed so small I wondered if the manufacture remembered to put them in the pack-or at least remembered to put in the required amount. Seed so tiny I couldn’t tell if they dropped in the hole. But in a few days they sprouted, and in a month or so grew several feet high. I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, hundred foot oaks begin as small acorns. Jesus chooses the mustard seed to illustrate how his Kingdom will grow: small but with a Big Bang finish.

When I hear the world’s population-almost 7 billion, I feel pretty unimportant too. Just one among many, insignificant, limited influence, known only by a few and forgotten soon after I’m gone. Feelings, however, don’t always mirror reality. I may feel little, but I’m big in God’s sight. If his plans for me were unimportant, if I was only an insignificant blob, if I had no purpose, he would have prevented my birth. That I made it through the birth canal, took a breath of fresh air and survived means there’s reason for my existence.
  • Through connection with my Maker, I discover it.
  • By faith I seize it and
  • With courage I live it.
And when I’m done, he’ll say “Well done.” God is capable of more than we can ever imagine. He’s a tremendous God who specializes in making little people big.

No comments:

Post a Comment