Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Seeing Dimly - Martin Wiles

seeing dimly
For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 1 Corinthians 13:12 NKJV

Things were clouding over, and I was getting nervous.

My eyesight had been getting worse. Around mid-life, I heard the optometrist pronounce that I was a good candidate for glaucoma, so he began treating me with drops. I also discovered I had dry-eye disease, which required more drops. 

Things cleared up, temporarily. One month into my new venture, the vision in my left eye clouded over. Blurriness reigned, and I got more nervous by the day. My wife called the doctor and scheduled an appointment. Fortunately, it was only pink eye.

I’ve been seeing things dimly since I was about ten years old. Without glasses, I see more dimly now than then, and I have no hope my eyes will improve. Paul saw dimly as well. Scholars conjecture that he may have had poor eyesight, but the sight he speaks of here is spiritual.

Though we see dimly, Jesus, as God’s representative on earth—and God in the flesh--could see clearly. When He cleared the Court of the Gentiles of merchants who were cheating worshipers, he could see their deception and how they prevented Gentiles from worshiping. When Nicodemus came with questions, Jesus saw he needed a new birth. When the disciples marveled over the grandeur of the Temple, Jesus saw its coming destruction.

I’ve resigned that my eyesight will never improve. Glasses will ornament my face until I die. But though my eyesight will never be 20/20 physically, I can see 20/20—or at least close to it--spiritually.

Like those who produce plays or movies, God first wrote the final chapter of our lives. The plan is in place; we must simply consult Him on how to get there. Nor is God out to conceal the plan. We can know His plan and trust that it’s good. He wants us to live a whole life, and accomplishing His purpose is the only way. He’ll gladly allow us to see His plan clearly if we ask.

Don’t wonder why you’re here. God has a purpose for you. Seek it out through prayer and meditation on His Word. He’ll be happy to reveal it to you.

Father, I ask You to show me Your purpose and plan for my life. 

If you enjoyed this devotion, please share it with your friends. 

 


I invite you to try my newest book, Hurt, Hope, and Healing, in eBook or paperback. These 52 devotions will take you from hurt to hope to healing. And thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts on FacebookTwitter, and Linkedin.

No comments:

Post a Comment