Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Faith Takes Flight - Paige Romig

Faith Takes Flight
For verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Matthew 17:21b KJV

Dad’s hand closed around mine. “It’s worth a try, right?”

My mouth sloped in a frown. Outside the kitchen window, summer was in full bloom. Honeysuckles smattered the ground in bunches, mourning doves warmed their bellies on the back deck, and lawnmowers burred to life. Everything seemed perfect—except we hadn’t seen a single hummingbird all summer. And to Dad and me, that was a big disappointment.

“Why don’t you pray about it?”

I felt silly praying for such a trivial thing, but I complied. I asked God to bless our food and quickly added, “Please send hummingbirds to our feeder. Thank you. Amen.”

I opened an eye, scrutinizing the small, three-cornered feeder attached to the window. I half-expected to see a fleet of hummingbirds sipping the ruby water. But it was empty.

A question arose in my mind. Was my faith too small? Surely, God saw that my doubt overshadowed my hope. He knew I didn’t really believe He would answer my prayer.

“Paige, look,” Dad whispered, pointing at the window.

Surprisingly, a bird with a ruby crest and a needle beak circled the feeder. Two emerald wings stirred the air as it zoomed and zipped in an arc, poking its beak into the warm, ruby liquid. Before soaring away, the hummingbird cocked its head at us and vanished with an audible hmmm.

Dad and I exchanged shocked glances. Practically cheering with delight, we bent our heads again and praised God.

Are you too embarrassed to pray for something? Is your prayer life void of faith? Does doubt cloud your relationship with your heavenly Father? The God of yesterday, today, and forever longs for His children to trust Him. He wants us to approach His throne with prayers and praise, no matter how small our faith or request.

How can you help your faith take flight?

Tweetable: Has your faith taken flight? 

Paige Romig lives in a quiet corner of Birdsboro, Pennsylvania. In 2023, her poem, “What My Grandmother Learned,” was published. She hopes to continue publishing poems that discuss similar themes to encourage her audience.


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment