Wednesday, November 1, 2023

What’s in a Word? Part 1 - Martin Wiles

what's in a word
Just say a simple, “Yes, I will,” or “No, I won’t.” Matthew 5:37 NLT

What’s in a word? Well, obviously, mine wasn’t enough. I needed something more.

My wife and I walked onto the used car parking lot, intent on purchasing a dependable vehicle. After deciding on the one we wanted and could afford, we sat down in the salesman’s office to discuss price, trade-in value, and monthly payment. Following our agreement, I shook his hand, promised to pay the payment each month, took the keys he handed me, and left in our new-to-us car.

Well . . . not exactly. I had to sign mounds of paperwork before the salesman handed me the keys and I could leave the lot. He may have taken my word, but the company giving me the loan wouldn’t. Humanity’s propensity to deceive made it necessary for me to sign numerous legal and binding forms.

Jesus states the ideal. Even though society makes us prop up our word with forms, our word should be enough. We shouldn’t have to guarantee its truth.

Words communicate—effectively or poorly. Pemineos whaxas pit jod pizzaxa um pit spociaxar cluch actually means a pizza company has a new pizza they want me to try, but I’d never know it by the words. When we communicate our words poorly, gibberish results, and no one is the better for having heard them. God’s love and Word need clear and concise communication.

Words are necessary. At least in most cases. Without prior experience with what pictures represent, a world filled with only pictures would mean nothing. Sharing God’s love requires using words others can understand.

Words can be plenty or few. Numerous Bible verses remind us it’s better to be a person of few words. Whenever we talk too much, we say something we shouldn’t. Sin seems to find its way onto the tongue of the blabbermouth’s mouth.

Words reflect listening skills. If we’re talking all the time, we can’t listen as well. To listen, we must be quiet and focus on the person speaking. And, after all, that’s what most hurting people want: a listening ear, not a mouth that runs off and over.

How can you ensure what you speak is worth listening to?

Father, may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight. 

Tweetable: What do your words say about you? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment