Wednesday, November 22, 2023

The Word That Lasts Part 1 - Martin Wiles

The Word That Lasts
I assure you, until heaven and earth disappear, even the smallest detail of God’s law will remain. Matthew 5:18 NLT

“Do we have to read the genealogical records, too?”

Daily devotional readings were common in my childhood home. And not from a Bible storybook. Our readings came straight from the Bible. I loved them, but I hated knowing the next night’s reading would be nothing but the descendants of so and so. Evidently, my mother didn’t enjoy them either. When she huffed and said to my dad, “Do we have to read that,” he always answered, “Yes.” Whether it bored us or not, every part of God’s Word was important.

Jesus was of the same mindset as good ole Dad. Though only the Old Testament had been written in His time, every portion was significant. I’ve learned a few things about the Bible.

Our opinion of God’s Word doesn’t matter. My father didn’t care whether or not I wanted to hear genealogical lists. I listened because he made the rules, put a roof over my head, and fed me. And sitting through nightly Bible readings was one of his rules. God didn’t consult me when He made His rules and gave the commands. They are for our spiritual, physical, and emotional good—whether we think so or not. And God holds us accountable for obeying them even if we disagree.

Our opinion of God’s Word affects our lifestyle. If we believe it’s God’s Word for us, we’ll obey and teach others to obey. But if we disregard it as nothing more than myths, fables, folktales, and great literature, we’ll adhere to its teachings if it suits us but neglect them if it doesn’t.

A low opinion of God’s Word leads to a low opinion of sin and a reckless lifestyle. What we think about sin affects how we live. If we redefine sin as a mistake, slip-up, or human error, we won’t beat ourselves too much when committing one. We also won’t worry too much about whether our lifestyles match what God says it should be.

A high opinion of God’s Word changes our opinion of sin and leads to a spiritually healthy lifestyle. Jesus said if we loved Him, we would obey His commands. His commands involve what we shouldn’t do or think. Sin. When we choose not to practice sin, we’ll live the abundant life He offers.

What effect is God’s Word having on your life?

Father, may I view the Bible as Your Word to me. 

Tweetable: What do you think about the Bible? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment