Friday, March 24, 2023

Stop Picking at Scabs - Norma Mezoe

Stop Picking at Scabs
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 NIV

Years ago, a Christian magazine widely circulated an article I had written. In the article, I spoke of how God had lovingly fitted together the pieces of my broken life.

Soon, I received phone calls and letters from people with heartbreaking problems. These fellow travelers reached out to someone who had also walked along the road of despair.

One person wrote of the breakup of a relationship that she had thought would lead to marriage. She struggled unsuccessfully to cope with her pain. In succeeding letters, she said she could not let go of her burden and let God share the load, even though I had encouraged her to by sharing Scripture and articles.

Then I thought of a simple illustration I hoped would help her. When I was a child with a scabby knee, I struggled to leave the scab alone. Time and again, I picked at the crusty growth until it bled. Then, the healing process had to begin anew.

Too often, we repeat something similar. An emotional pain leaves us with a wound. Slowly, the process of healing begins. But then we pick at the hurt—perhaps by thinking of what might have been or what we should have done differently. Soon, tears flood over a heart that has begun to heal, and the scab tears from the wound.

God waits to heal our pain and aching heart but cannot if we pick at the wound. However, if we keep our hands off, His love and peace will cover our wounded spirit and bring complete healing. We must only release our burdens into the Great Physician’s healing hands.

How can you stop picking at the scabs and let God do His healing?

Tweetable: How can you stop picking at your emotional wounds? 



Norma C. Mezoe has been a published writer for thirty-nine years. Her writing has appeared in books, devotionals, take-home papers, and magazines. She writes to honor God, to encourage, and to point others to the Lord. Norma became a Christian at fifteen but didn’t grow spiritually in a significant way until she experienced a crisis at the age of thirty-three that brought her into a closer relationship with the Lord. Norma may be contacted at normacm@tds.net. 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment