Monday, March 13, 2023

Knowing God - Martin Wiles

Knowing God
Asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. Ephesians 1:17 NLT

Getting to know someone doesn’t just happen—nor does knowing God.

When I arrived in this world, the first person I met was the doctor. Then I met the nurses who handed me to a lady who snuggled me against her chest. A few minutes later, a man took me from the woman and cuddled me against his chest. Several days later, they took me to a strange place. Both of them stuck a bottle in my mouth when I was hungry, changed my diaper when I soiled it and rocked me to sleep. It took a while, but at some point, I began calling them Momma and Da Da. But I didn’t know all there was to know about them. That would take their lifetime and mine.

Getting to know God isn’t much different than getting to know anyone else. Had my parents given me up for adoption, I would never have known them—unless they chose to reveal themselves later. Had I decided to leave them when I was old enough to care for myself, I wouldn’t have learned the many wonderful things I know now.

The theology book I used in college was four inches thick and told anything I could possibly want to know about God. I’ve plowed through it several times, but that only tells me things about God. The same could be said for reading my Bible. It gives me information about God but doesn’t guarantee I’ll know him.

Paul’s prayer for the Ephesians was that they’d get to know God. Before we can know God better, we must recognize we need to. When we make this request, God will grant it and show us ways to make it happen.

Studying Jesus’ life in the gospels is an excellent place to start. Since he was God in human form, he shows us much of what we need to know about God and how he expects us to live. When we hunger to know God, the Bible and other sources then become great avenues of information.

Knowledge about God is only mildly beneficial; personal knowledge about him will change our lives. After all, knowledge is of little use if we don’t use it to better ourselves, others, and the world.

So, what can you do to know God better?

Prayer: Father, may we never be satisfied with just knowing about You. Guide us into a complete knowledge of who You are and who we are in a relationship with You. 

Tweetable: How well do you know God? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment