Monday, January 2, 2023

Who Was Influencing Whom? - Martin Wiles

Who Was Influencing Whom?
Evil people try to drag me into sin, but I am firmly anchored to your instructions. Psalm 119:61 NLT

After a few weeks of hanging around with him, I began to wonder who was influencing whom.

My father had just returned to the denomination of his upbringing and was called as interim pastor at his boyhood church. The first person to offer his friendship to me was the chairman of the deacon’s son. Who better to hang around with, I thought.

I soon discovered he wasn’t involved in anything that would enhance my spiritual journey, but I chose to follow his lead anyway. Before long, I was drinking. Then I began skipping school and experimenting with drugs. I liked my new friend, but a time came when our paths separated—and for the better. I knew he wasn’t a good influence, but I let him influence me instead of influencing him.

If I let them, evil people will always drag me down with their offers. There’s nothing wrong with having someone on the side besides your wife. Spend the money you make. You earned it. Your family won’t miss it. Religion is for those who can’t handle life. You don’t have to take what your boss is dishing out. Tell him to take that job and shove it. Why work? Live off the government. Everyone else is. These pills will help you get through the day. They won’t harm you. On and on, the evil messages come.

The psalmist’s answer to evil people’s attempts to drag him down was to firmly root himself in God’s instructions. Not a bad idea. God’s Word relates his expectations and guidelines. 

Through introspection, we can determine if and where we’re falling short. When we determine what’s keeping us from living up to God’s commands and leading us astray, we should investigate the source of our failures. For me, it was a good friend who had a bad influence.

Once we’ve discovered the source of our problems, we must do something about it. For me, it entailed saying goodbye to a friendship.

If ungodly offers influence you, what steps can you take to be the influencer?

Prayer: Father, help us shine Your light into other’s lives rather than travel their wicked ways. 

Tweetable: Are you the influencer or the influencee?


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment