Friday, March 11, 2022

Believing the Unseen - Martin Wiles

Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!” The Lord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire. 2 Kings 6:17 NLT

I believe, even when I can’t or haven’t seen.

I’m not a germophobe. I don’t run for hand sanitizer every time I shake someone’s hands. Nor do I take a wipe and scrub the buggy handle before I place my hands on it. And I don’t think about all the germs I’m touching when I funnel through 103 middle schooler’s papers as I grade them. Thinking about all the germs I’m touching and what they might do to me would drive me batty. Although I have to admit, Covid 19 changed my practices a little.

On the other hand, if I could suddenly see what I can’t see with my naked eye, I might retreat into a shell and never leave the house. I do believe germs exist. Scientists tell me they do. And I have experienced the results of germs when my body’s immune system didn’t fight them off.

I also believe more stars exist than I can see when I investigate a nighttime sky that is unadulterated by city lights. My brother and I have done this from mountain peaks where the only light we saw was that shed by the moon and the stars. Yet, we knew the stars we saw did not comprise all the stars in our universe. Scientists who look with powerful telescopes have told us so.

Elisha’s servant couldn’t see everything either. The king of Aram waged war against God’s people, but every time he planned an attack, God told Elisha where the attack would occur. Elisha, in turn, told the king who would avoid the area where the king of Aram was.

The king of Aram thought a spy had infiltrated his ranks—until someone told him Elisha was the culprit. Discovering that Elisha was in Dothan, the king surrounded him. Elisha’s servant saw the king of Aram’s army, but he didn’t see the angels protecting him and Elisha until God opened his eyes.

I’ve never seen many things in the unseen world of spiritual things, but I believe they exist because God says they do. I can’t see forgiveness—it’s not tangible—but I’ve seen how wonderful life can be when people do it. And I believe God has done it for me.

Nor can I gaze upon grace. It, too, isn’t tangible, but I believe it lives. God is full of undeserved favor and extends it to all who ask. When He does, salvation takes place. Repentance. Forgiveness. Spiritual filling. New life.

Unless we believe in the unseen, we can never experience all God has in store for us.

Don’t miss God’s best for you by refusing to believe in the unseen. Even God falls into that category.

Prayer: Father, give us the faith to believe in all the unseen things You tell us exist. 

Tweetable: Are you trusting in what you cannot see?


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment