Monday, February 21, 2022

Boats for the Storms - Cathy Hill

When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. Isaiah 43:2 NLT

I remember as a little girl absolutely loving rainstorms.

I loved watching the weather roll in. There was something magnificent about it. I also remember my dad. He would walk to the backyard and discern exactly what the weather was going to do. 

As we waited, he would go to his workbench, hand us a couple of scraps of wood and nails, and tell us to make a boat. When the rain stopped, we would find streams of fresh rainwater. If we had designed well, our creations would float, but we had some sinkers too.

There is an adage that says a boy marries his mom and a girl her dad. I did. Like my dad, my husband is a weatherman.  

One early morning, my husband was out in the country for ministry. The forecasters predicted the worst storm in seventy years. Great, I thought, and here I am without my weatherman.

I talked to the children about who controls the weather, but I wished Jesus were stilling this storm.  Sitting in the bathroom with my three children, as we listened to sirens roar and the rain fall, I wondered if I could build a boat for four?

Some hours later, the warning was lifted. The wind still blew, but the sky was noticeably brighter. Our day began again. I dropped the kids off at school and then sat at my desk, still unsteady by the fear-filled morning.

We face a lot of storms—a lot of heartaches. In these storms, gales of fear and downpours of tears come. I ask for God to still them, but He allows them to remain. He knows I have so much more to learn.

God asks us to have faith. Yes, we can build a boat, but we will need His presence. He will protect us when we can stand no more. He will hold us when life is too rough, and He will still our hearts when the storm rages on.

What are some ways you can trust God in your storms?

Tweetable: Have you built a boat for your storm? 


Cathy is a writer, teacher, and entrepreneur. She met her husband Brian while studying in Paris, France. They make their home in Geneva, IL, with their four children and their daughter-in-love. She loves writing about the wonder and whimsy of life and her love for Jesus. Her first book is Destination: Fierce, Moving from Fear to Fierce. Learn more about Cathy at www.cathyjoyhill.com.


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment