Monday, July 26, 2021

Meandering Monday - Can’t Get Up - Martin Wiles

Welcome to Meandering Monday, where we take a trip back to an earlier post and enjoy it again.

But Jesus said, “Peter, let me tell you something. Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me.” Luke 22:34 NLT

One life support company made popular the saying, “Help, I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up.”

Along with the saying was the picture of an elderly lady lying alone on the floor for hours. Thankfully, a neighbor, postman, or family member would eventually find and help her before it was too late. Then the advertisement for the company’s product. A good investment for those times when we’re down and can’t get up.

Peter didn’t have an accident, but he did seem down for the count. At the last supper, he proudly crowed he’d never desert Jesus. Jesus quickly squelched his confidence by telling him he would disown him three times before the rooster crowed the next morning.

Peter probably doubted Jesus’ words, but he soon discovered what it felt like to be down and helpless. As predicted, Peter said “I don’t know Him” three times. The rooster crowed, Jesus glanced Peter’s way, and Peter was crushed.

Sometimes life’s circumstances appear insurmountable.

I, too, can find myself down when I deny Christ, whether it is an outright denial with words—as Peter’s was—or denial through neglect and hypocrisy. Either way, I’ve placed myself in an untenable position where help is needed. Fear of what others will say if I voice my Christianity can put me down. And in extreme cases, fear of death if I acknowledge my association with Christ can paralyze me.

A further type of denial that will stymie me happens when I compartmentalize my life, erecting sections for religion, work, family, and hobbies. Believing what happens in one area won’t affect the other will lay me down. Peter quickly discovered his walk with the Lord affected his entire lifestyle.

The good news is that with Christ we’re never down and unable to get up. We may be down, but by his power and under the umbrella of his forgiveness, we can rise to new heights and experience second chances.

If you feel down and out, let Christ raise you up.

Prayer: Lord of grace, we give You thanks for the continual restoration You offer. 

Tweetable: Are you down and can't see your way up? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment