Thursday, March 25, 2021

No Credit - Martin Wiles

Therefore, as the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:31 NLT

I don’t remember why she needed it, but I do remember what the company told her: “No.”

My uncle had passed away. My aunt, now in her senior adult years, decided to apply for a credit card. When the company denied her, she became furious. Their reason? She had no credit record. The reason? She and my uncle had certainly purchased things on time during their many years of marriage, but they had always paid with cash. To companies issuing credit cards or granting loans, it appeared as if she had never bought anything. She was a good risk, but they didn’t think so because they had no record to check.

I, on the other hand, got my first credit card as soon as I was old enough to apply. At eighteen, offers for credit cards abounded. I chose a couple of fuel company cards along with one I could use anywhere I shopped. Between those and a car loan, I had a spotless credit record in no time. Something my aunt never obtained. Buying a car wasn’t a problem. The lending agency always approved me—and at a good interest rate.

Then some untenable life circumstances ruined my good credit record. Later in life, I had to depend on someone else’s credit record if I needed to borrow money.

But when it comes to salvation, I have no credit. Paul reminded those who were tempted to boast about their salvation that God was the source of their forgiveness, not them.

Where our relationship with God is concerned, we are either in Christ or we’re not. Jesus said we couldn’t serve Him and money (or anything else). He gives us no fence to sit on. We either believe, are forgiven, and restored to a right relationship with Him, or we go our own way. This is one time I can’t have my cake and eat it, too.

Nor do I have a credit record built up where I can say to God, “You owe me. Save me.” I may have a spotless credit record when it comes to purchasing items, but I have nothing to offer God that places Him under obligation to me. Only because of His grace and mercy did He send Jesus to die for our sins. Paul had a lot of “religious” credits, but none that would make things right between him and God. All he could do—all any of us can do—was cry out for help.

Since we have no credit that leads to salvation, our forgiveness and restoration should create in us a humble spirit. God blesses us when we do, but He detests pride. Without Christ, we are nothing, but in Christ, we can do all things.

Have you recognized you have no credit in God’s eyes? If so, turn to Him. He’ll accept you based on Christ’s credit.

Prayer: Father, thank You for providing all the credit we need for our salvation.

Tweetable: How's your credit record? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment