Monday, December 21, 2020

Need More Time - Martin Wiles

On the day the Lord gave the Israelites victory over the Amorites, Joshua prayed to the Lord in front of all the people of Israel. He said, “Let the sun stand still over Gibeon, and the moon over the valley of Aijalon.” Joshua 10:12 NLT

Lord, I need more time.

With Dad. To properly tell him good-bye. To let him hear how much I love him and how I think he was a great parent. But I’m not sure he can hear me. His organs are shutting down. The doctors have done all they can. We plan to honor his wishes and remove all the life-prolonging equipment, letting him go home to heaven.

Lord, I need more time.

With Mom. If things keep going as they are, I’m not sure she’ll get things straight anymore. Some of her conversations are quite confusing. She mixes up stories, people, and dates. Her mom had Alzheimer’s, and I think if Mom lives, she’ll get it too. How will I handle her not knowing me? How will I handle not being able to carry on an intelligent conversation with her?

Lord, I need more time.

To pay the bill. You know we received “the notice.” In two days, our service will be disconnected. We have no idea where the money will come from, but You tell us not to worry. You’ll provide our food, shelter, and clothes. But a little more time would be nice. 

Lord, I need more time.

With my brother. And for researchers to find a cure for the disease. He’s so young. I thought we’d hike in the mountains until we were both old men. Now he walks either with braces, a cane, or a walker. Sometimes, he is rolled around in a wheelchair. The medicine helps, but he’s just not the same person. I can barely understand him now and find myself asking, “What,” more often.

Joshua needed more time also. He and the nation of Israel were in a desperate fight. Daylight waned, but the enemy kept coming. So, he, too, asked God for more time, and God granted it by extending daylight for an entire day. A miracle. 

The list of why we might need more time—or why someone we love might need more time—is endless. Sometimes, God gives more time; sometimes, He doesn’t. Faith prompts us to ask for time, but faith also enables us to accept things as they are when He doesn’t.

Regardless of whether God gives us more time or not, we can trust Him. His nature is love. His wisdom far exceeds any knowledge we could ever gain. He operates with unconditional love for the people He has created. And He has control, just as He did over the day when Joshua fought that long-ago battle.

When you need more time, ask God. He may grant it—and even if He doesn’t, He’ll give you the wisdom and strength to carry on.

Prayer: Father, give us the time we need to do the work You’ve given us to do.

Tweetable: Do you need more time? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment