Monday, September 7, 2020

The Hand That Guides - Martin Wiles

 


The Lord went ahead of them. He guided them during the day with a pillar of cloud, and he provided light at night with a pillar of fire. Exodus 13:21 NLT

The methods varied, but I could always count on the guidance.

My parents knew nothing about the terms parents of millennials are called: helicopter parents or lawnmower parents. But they knew about guidance, and they gave it whether I asked for it or not. They guided me with chores to do around the house. These taught me responsibility. Sometimes they paid me; sometimes they didn’t. This taught me I would have to do some things in life for which I would receive no pay.

They guided me through Bible readings and Bible stories. Dad sat us all down for Bible stories and, when I was older, Bible readings. I understood God’s love, understood I needed to read the Bible myself, and understood I needed to obey the Bible’s commands.

My parents guided me by telling me personal stories of them growing up. Things they did that they shouldn’t have—and what the consequences were.

And of course, they guided me through discipline. Sometimes, this involved corporal punishment; at other times it meant taking something away I enjoyed or just having a heart-to-heart talk with me. In whatever form, the discipline established boundaries I should not cross.

God provided guidance for His children also. He used Moses to deliver them from 400 years of Egyptian slavery. After they crossed the Red Sea, they entered the wilderness—a daunting place with little water and no food. In spite of their grumbling, God gave them meat, manna, and water. And He guided their way with a pillar of cloud during the day and a pillar of fire at night.

When I compare then and now, it appears all the miracles took place in biblical times. But I have a pastor friend who ministers in India, and he tells me often of miracles God still performs. Yet, the Bible is the main instrument God uses to guide His children. In it, we learn of boundaries God has established which we should not cross. Doing so invites His loving discipline. We also learn of the Spirit He sends into our lives to give us continuous inner guidance.

God never takes His guiding hand from His children. We can walk confidently through life, knowing God is ever-present. He will never leave or forsake us. Our part is merely obeying the guidance.

Ask God to help you pay attention to the hand that guides you.

Prayer: Father, thank You for the guidance You provide that we might navigate life successfully.

Tweetable: Are you trusting the right guiding hand? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for people God placed in my life who helped guide me along the path to Him.

    ReplyDelete