Thursday, September 24, 2020

Quail to the Rescue - Martin Wiles

That evening vast numbers of quail flew in and covered the camp. Exodus 16:13 NLT

One by one, they dropped from the tree.

As a young lad growing up in the flatlands of South Carolina, seeing blackbirds in the fall and winter months was common. Thousands decorated the sky, and I clapped to make them separate. Hundreds adorned trees, then dropped one by one to consume the fruit beneath.

For many years now, I’ve not seen blackbirds as I once did. Perhaps their migratory patterns have changed. Maybe I live in the wrong region.

Then, one day I saw them again as I took my late afternoon walk one warm winter day in February. Hundreds covered an oak tree. Two by two they dropped to the ground beneath to eat the acorns that lay on the ground. Memories of carefree days when I was young and the world seemed like a better place returned.

But I’ve never seen thousands of quail as the Israelites did. No sooner had God delivered them from 400 years of slavery than they grumbled because they didn’t have food and water. God solved the problem. As evening neared, He sent thousands of quail upon their camp. So many that they couldn’t eat them all. A demonstration of His grace and wrath.

The story reminds me that God will provide for His people … for me … one among millions, but also that His provision varies. Such as the time when my wife and I experienced a rough financial period and someone deposited #100 in our bank account. Thinking a teller had put money in the wrong account, we called our daughter who’s a teller at the bank. No mistake, but it was a cash deposit so she couldn’t tell us who made it. We thanked them anyway—and God—for placing our need upon their hearts.

Sometime, God provides for us in miraculous ways. He sends the quail … or the money. On other occasions, He gives us the wisdom to figure things out. For my wife and I, the latter has been the norm. We still give God the credit. Regardless of the way He chooses to provide, God will provide.

Trust that God will meet your needs because You are His child. He has promised.

Prayer: Father, thank You for sending just what we need when we need it.

Tweetable: How has God come to your rescue? 


Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for all the times God has rescued me. He has guided me away from bad decisions. He has comforted me during sorrow. He has given me peace during a stressful medical diagnosis and so much more. I am thankful to be His.

    ReplyDelete