Thursday, March 26, 2020

Open Wide - Martin Wiles


Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things. Psalm 81:10 NLT

“Open wide!”

I can’t remember how many times I’ve said it. To children, and then grandchildren. When they didn’t want to eat a particular kind of baby food, but I knew they needed it. Or when they didn’t want to take medicine. Along with the plea sometimes came a song … or a promise to get something they liked. Sometimes, the bribery worked.

I’m sure Mom and Dad used the same tactic on me when I was a baby. And surely, my grandmother did also. And even at fifty-eight, there are still some make-you-gag medicines I don’t care to open my mouth for. 

But for some things, I love opening my mouth. Such as a chocolate glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut. Or a plain one will do, especially if the “Hot and Ready” sign is on. Better yet, the chocolate covered crème filled honey bun that I buy occasionally. This little jewel contains 450 calories. I reserve it for my cheat days when I’m not counting my calories.

I love to munch … and on things that aren’t necessarily good for me … and these are the things for which I enjoy opening my mouth. So did God’s people in the Old Testament period. They loved to open their mouths widely to worship pagan gods—gods the one true God had told them to leave alone. And when they did, God got a belly full and sent punishment their way. Not because He was a mean deity, but because He loved them.

God wants us to open our mouths widely for the good things He has in store for us. He desires that we ingest the life-giving principles of His Word. He wants us to revel in talking to Him on a regular basis—checking with Him before we make decisions, large and small. And He wants us to hang around with others who will feed us the same type of principles and encouragement we’ll receive from His Word.

Although God doesn’t enjoy doing so, He will send along discipline when we open our mouths for the wrong things. He knows if He doesn’t intervene that we’ll keep eating the wrong things, and they will harm us spiritually.

Instead of shutting your mouth tightly against what God attempts to feed you, open your mouth widely, knowing that what He gives you is the best.

Prayer: Father, thank You for feeding us only what is good for us.



Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment