Thursday, January 16, 2020

Author Interview with Judy DuCharme


Love Lines from God welcomes author, Judy DuCharme, as our guest today.

Welcome, Judy. Tell us when you decided to become a writer. In other words, what made you actually sit down and write something?

I always wanted to write, even as a little girl. A high-school teacher encouraged me in my writing, and I wrote short stories and poetry in high school and college. As life was busy and I thought I’d have to hide away for hours on end to be a writer, I set it aside until about ten years ago. Stories began to rise up within me, and I began to feel it was a calling. Now, I have six books published and a couple more I’d like to get published.

Every writer is eventually asked this question, but where do your ideas come from?

Ideas always run through my mind. I wish I had the time and discipline to write all of them. It’s usually when I sense the story in my spirit and it won’t leave me, or it just has to come out, that I write it.

Why do you write what you do?

I write that others may become strong in the Lord. I don’t just want to entertain, although I love to include humor in my writing. I want to write so that others are stronger as a result of reading my writing.

What is the hardest thing about the creative process of writing?

Staying in active voice rather than passive voice is a constant challenge. Also keeping in point of view and developing a deep point of view. Editing is a challenge–time-consuming and slightly painful.

If you’re a Christian, what are the challenges you believe Christian writers face now and in the future?

Cultural worldviews don’t like the Christian worldview, and that hostility is growing in every area. I think some writers want to cross some lines that I’m uncomfortable with in order to reach a wider audience. I think if we’re true to what the Lord calls us to write, we’ll be okay. Addressing the culture is a big challenge, and I admire those who do it well.

Tell us the most difficult thing about writing your last book. How long does it typically take you to finish your books?

The book really flowed, and the characters seemed to almost take over. I felt as if I was watching the story and trying to type fast enough to keep up. It skirted the edge politically, biblically, and culturally, so it made publishers a bit uncomfortable (and my editor) because of the subject matter. Hence, it took a long time to get a publisher. That book took about nine months to write. The one I’m working on now has taken about three years, but there have been many interruptions.

Name your three biggest frustrations about the writing business.

One, publishers will only look at the first few pages to decide if they are interested. I understand that they only have so much time, but when you’ve worked so many hours and have so many pages, I do wish they’d go a few more pages.

Two, when you are told to submit, it can’t miss a single direction. If it does, round file, and you never know why. I realize it isn’t always that harsh, and that’s the business, but it is frustrating.

Three, more emphasis is placed on a writer’s social media platform than on their quality of writing.

On the flip side, what excites you the most about the creative process?

I love the way a story unfolds—the way that without realizing it I include something that provides the background or the clue for something that happens later. I love how when I reread my writing I laugh or cry. I enjoy it when I’m impressed with how I worded something, and I don’t even recall struggling with the wording. I’m glad when I catch a poorly written part and can correct it. And I love that others enjoy and are blessed by my writing.

What are you reading now, and who are a few of your favorite authors and why?

I just finished Joel Rosenberg’s The Persian Gamble and Fire by Night by Lynn Austin. I’m partway through The Oracle by Jonathan Cahn. I love the intensity and the biblical prophetic aspect of Joel Rosenberg. I’ve read so many Bodie Thoene books, loving the history and the biblical insight as well. I haven’t seen much from her in a while. Lynn Austin presents such great history and wonderful characters. Colleen Coble can sure weave a mystery with so many twists and turns.

Could you tell the readers how they can purchase your books?

Blood Moon Redemption: amazon.com/dp/1620208229
The Cheesehead Devotional Hall of Fame Edition: amazon.com/dp/1946016330
The Cheesehead Devotional Kickoff Edition: amazon.com/dp/1938499239
Run With the Wind: amazon.com/dp/B07PTPCXXN
Christmas Ivy: amazon.com/dp/B07PTYNKSX
Society of the L.A.M.B.: amazon.com/dp/153777039X

And what are your social media links so readers can follow you? 


Judy DuCharme is a retired fifth-grade teacher and ridiculous Packer fan from Door County, Wisconsin. She and her husband have two children and one amazing grandson. Judy has authored six books, won numerous awards, and writes for Guideposts Magazine. Her passion is to write that others may be strong in the Lord.









Thanks to all our faithful followers who share our posts! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's encouragement through His Love Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment