Saturday, June 15, 2019

Having It All - Martin Wiles


The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right. Psalm 84:11 NLT

I wanted it—and it wasn’t bad. Now, all I had to do was figure out a way to get it.

What it was depended on my age and life situation. One thing I wanted was a Jeep Wrangler Sport. One with a lift kit, huge tires, a removable top, a large engine, and a loud exhaust system. This want extended back to my teenage years. I’m now approaching sixty, still want it, but still don’t have it. Nothing sinful about this want, so I wonder why God hasn’t given it to me.  

Then came the dream of the farm. I had a friend and two grandfathers who farmed. Farming was in my blood. I watched them love the land, ride farm equipment, and work their own time schedule. So I looked into buying some land, hoping to put a few cows on it. The house and farm implements could come later. None of my dreams materialized. Nothing sinful about that desire. But at this stage in life, I know that dream has slipped away too.

I also never imagined I’d rent my entire life, but that, too, seems a reality. What’s wrong with dreaming of owning my own home? Yet, here I am, approaching retirement age, and still renting, after having lived in church-owned homes almost all my working career. Seems as if God has let me down again.

The psalmist says God won’t withhold anything good from those who do right. I’ve done right, but there’s a whole lot of good He’s withheld. Should I be mad? Should I question the truth of Scripture? Can I trust what God says?

Well, I’m not mad, and I don’t do any of those other things either. God never promises to supply my every want, just my needs. A Jeep, a farm, and a house are all wants. Good wants, but wants nevertheless. And God has always met every need I’ve ever had. Never have I lacked a place to stay, food to eat, or clothes to wear.

God also looks out for my permanent good, not what I may want at any given moment. He gives me what I need to do His will and accomplish His purposes.

God is good every day and all the time. Trust Him for the good you need, not for the good you might want.


Prayer: Father, we trust that You know what’s best for us and will supply those needs.

Tell us how you distinguish between wants and needs. 



Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment