Saturday, October 6, 2018

Plowed for God - Martin Wiles

Plow up the hard ground of your hearts, for now is the time to seek the Lord, that he may come and shower righteousness upon you. Hosea 10:12 NLT
Back and forth, back and forth. I watched as the cold steel blade busted the sod, preparing the land for planting.
Both of my grandfathers farmed, and when one quit farming, he maintained a garden. I watched them plow with mules, tractors, hand plows, tillers, and hoes. And when I left home, I, too, wanted to put my hands in the dirt when the warm spring temps arrived.
Like my grandfathers before me, I gardened. When I lived where no previous garden had been, I made one, using tillers, hoes, and hand plows. And if the spot was too hard or too grassy, I enlisted someone who owned a tractor to help me.
Nor did I let living in a small patio townhome with a tiny backyard stop me from plowing. Instead of planting flowers and shrubbery in the landscaped area, I plowed the dirt with a shovel and hoe and planted a garden.
The people Hosea prophesied to had hearts like hard ground. They needed plowing so obedience to God could grow, but they didn’t want to feel the icy blade of God’s conviction plunging into their souls.
Plowing loosens the soil, which in turn allows the plant roots to take hold, grow, and receive the nourishment they need to produce fruit. Hard ground prevents this process. Allowing God to plow the soil of my heart loosens my spirit so things such as love, kindness, and compassion can grow. Things that because of my fleshly nature wouldn’t naturally grow there without the plowing.
Plowing exposes things that need removing, such as rocks, roots, and pieces of glass. I’ve been amazed by the things I’ve found when plowing a piece of ground. Each of them, I’ve removed. I didn’t want anything to hinder my plants from growing. God works in the same manner. When I allow Him to plow the soil of my heart, He removes things like prejudice, hatred, unforgiveness, pride, and anger. Objects and attitudes that prevent love from growing.
When plowed, dirt also soaks up water better. Water runs off hard ground. Having God plow my heart and mind allows the principles of His Word, His answers to my prayers, and His wisdom and understanding to soak into my spirit.
Plowing may hurt for the moment, but allowing God to plow our hearts produces an abundant crop of fruit. Don’t resist God’s plowing.

Prayer: Father, we ask You to plow our hearts so we can produce all the fruit You desire. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment