Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Decisions Decisions - Martin Wiles

For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. Philippians 2:13 NLT
My job was taxing but fulfilling. Deciding whether or not to leave was difficult.
Five years had passed since I’d been employed by a local county. I began as a teller and had moved up to supervisor. Though some days found me wishing for something different, most of the time I was satisfied.
Then my pastor presented an opportunity. Due to difficult circumstances, I had been out of the ministry for a few years. Now he offered me the chance to be his associate and work with the youth and children. I turned down his first request, almost without thinking. Age had crept up on me. I was too old to act like youth ministers are sometimes required to.
A few months later, he approached me again. This time I told him I’d pray about it. Soon thereafter, I accepted the part-time position—a decision that was only the beginning of more decisions to come.
Gas prices were rising, and my position at the county required two hours of driving. As I stopped in at the old country store across the road from my house, one of the new owners approached me about a part-time day manager’s position. I prayed again. Before I knew it, I was putting in my resignation at the county and working two part-time jobs.
According to Paul, God works in us and gives us the desire and power to do what pleases Him…but how?
When I trusted Christ as my Savior, He sent His Spirit to indwell me. Listening to Him helps me make good decisions. God’s Spirit lives in me and works through me. He is not just presence or some force; He is living and moving. He nudges me in the right direction but also nudges me when I make wrong decisions.
Knowing God’s Word also helps in the decision-making process. Here I find God’s principles, wishes, and commands. Having them ingrained in my mind helps me hear God’s Spirit when He reminds me of them.
A further help with decisions comes through prayer. Knowing the Word and having the Spirit makes the process of prayer more productive. As I pray, God will speak to me by His Spirit about things that align with His Word.
Don’t leave your decisions to chance. Listen to God’s Spirit, pray, and consult His Word.

Prayer: Father, thank You for the resources You give that enable us to make good decisions. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment