Thursday, August 24, 2017

Fear Not - Martin Wiles

The Lord is my light and my salvation—so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble? Psalm 27:1 NLT

I dropped the pans on the floor and was rewarded with a loud scream.

When our son was an infant, I was concerned his hearing had been affected by ear infections. Rather than take him to the pediatrician, I decided to perform a home test. As my wife sat at the kitchen table with him cuddled in her arms, I dropped a heavy pan. His screams reassured us his hearing was okay.

Humans are born with two innate fears: falling and loud noises. I saw the second in my son; I witnessed the first in my grandson. After he started walking, I noticed he hesitated when approaching a ledge or when he got too close to the edge of a chair or the couch. I didn’t have to say, “Watch out, you’ll fall.” He naturally knew something was different.

I’m sure David was frightened by many things, but he had the sense to know he shouldn’t be. God saved him from lions, bears, enemies, and a jealous king. He gave light to his path and was like a protective wall.

If I was only born with two fears, I’ve accumulated a ton more: fear of those who can harm me physically, fear of financial failure, fear of relationship demise, fear of not being loved, fear of emotional abuse, fear of unemployment, fear of depleted retirement savings. 

But I’m reminded of what Paul told Timothy: “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV).

Fears seem to come naturally in my human experience, but if I’m only created with two, they shouldn’t. As with David, experience should teach me I can depend on God for salvation and protection. He has saved me from the greatest fear I could ever have: having to spend an eternity apart from Him to pay for my sins. Even if my life is taken by others, my soul is secure.

I can also depend on Him to guard my steps daily. I may incur sicknesses—even life-threatening diseases, but He provides ultimate protection. Since the imperishable part of me is safe in His arms, I can live without fearing the other things that assault me during my life’s journey.

Don’t live with a spirit of fear when God says, “Fear not.”


Prayer: Father, we thank You for allowing us to live life fear free. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment