Saturday, June 10, 2017

One Thing after Another - Martin Wiles

I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm. 2 Corinthians 11:27 NLT

With a sigh, my wife called to tell me the garbage disposal had broken. This was just the beginning.

For four years, we’ve rented our patio townhouse. Not long after moving here, we noticed various types of repair trucks were regular visitors in our neighborhood. Our trouble had been minimal…until the garbage disposal stopped working. 

Knowing very little about garbage disposals, I pushed the reset button to see if it would restart. No luck. The next day, my wife called to let me know all the water had not drained from the dishwasher. I took a look. Good reason. The dishwasher drains through the garbage disposal. The next morning, I heard gurgling in the commodes when the washing machine reached the spin cycle. When I returned home for lunch, my wife informed me the microwave had broken. 

I’ve experienced “one thing after another” episodes before, but these breakdowns came too close together. And I almost forgot. These breakdowns were preceded by the news that our landlady was planning to sell our unit. We would have to move. 

Compared to Paul’s one-thing-after-another list, mine seemed tame—but aggravating nonetheless. Any season of endless disappointments or trials always is. When Paul stopped persecuting the church and started promoting it, things heated up. And most of the heat came from his own people who didn’t believe what he was preaching about Jesus. 

Sin not only affects people but it also affects things—causing breakdowns or wear outs.

God allows the one-thing-after-another episodes in our lives, but knowing that doesn’t make them any easier to endure unless I remember He’s also in control. My response is paramount. I can become angry, disillusioned, and despondent, or I can take each hit with the same attitude Paul did. He learned to be content regardless of the circumstances and rejoiced in the Lord always. 

I haven’t mastered Paul’s attitude completely, but I’m closer now than I have been in the past. Knowing how to respond properly when the one-thing-after-another episodes hit is a work in progress…but one God will help me learn if I ask.

When one thing after another hits your life, trust God for the wisdom to carry on with a good attitude. 

Prayer: Father, You are our guiding light. We will trust You regardless of our circumstances.

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment