Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Book of Books - Martin Wiles

For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Hebrews 4:12 NLT

No book exists forever…with the exception of one. 

Collecting old books is a hobby I started several years ago. In that short time, I’ve amassed hundreds of books dating from the 1800’s. One I happened upon was dated 1821. For its age, the book was in excellent condition. The inside page noted it had been housed in a Charleston, South Carolina, library. I quickly grabbed it, took it to the register, and gave them two dollars. But despite its condition, one day it too will deteriorate.

Only one book will last forever, and the writer of Hebrews tells why. The Bible is living, not bound by covers that will fade, crumble, separate from pages, and finally dissolve or be thrown away. No material that books are made from is indestructible—the Bible included, but God’s Word won’t cease to exist because the covers and pages deteriorate. 

The Word of God is more than covers and paper. It is a person. John wrote, "In the beginning the Word already existed" (John 1:1). God gave His Word to writers, but it existed before then, and it will continue to exist even if all Bibles are destroyed. 

God’s Word is preserved by His life-giving Spirit who is more powerful than any force imaginable. The Word is sharper than the sharpest knife, slicing deep into my innermost being to expose my true self so that I might compare my current state with what God wants it to be. When the gap has been revealed, I can petition Him for guidance to bridge the chasm. 

I shelve my old books. Some I wrap in cellophane. Rarely do I read any of them. Turning the pages would only hasten their demise. Not so with God’s Word. It is meant to be handled, digested, and experienced. 

Let God’s eternal Word shape your actions and attitudes. 

Prayer: Father, enable Your Word to become alive in our lives. 



Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment