Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Be Secure - Martin Wiles

For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need. Philippians 4:13 NLT

Donned in my walking attire, I looked at my wife and said, “Anyone who can wear this is secure in themselves.” 

Lately, I’ve been trying to walk off the extra pounds. On this particular day, I dressed in the clothes I intended to wear while walking. My wife took one look and said, “That’s a hot mess.” My pants had stripes, and my jacket had checks. I topped off my outfit with a striped Fedora hat. I really didn’t care what anyone else thought about my outfit—but that hasn’t always been true. 

When I was a young lad, my appearance caused me great insecurity. Somewhere along the line, I stopped caring what others thought and became secure in whom I was. 

Paul had many reasons to be insecure after choosing to follow Christ. He was hounded frequently by unbelievers who would have loved nothing better than to destroy his ministry. The multiple trials he faced also added to his precarious situation. But he was confident. 

As a follower of Christ, I can be secure in my identity. The Bible calls me a “saint.” The last time I checked, I was far from sainthood, but in Christ that’s my position. When I trusted Christ as my Savior and received His forgiveness for all my sins, I traded in the label of “sinner.” 

Though I still sin, it’s not the pattern of my life, nor does it have to be. The indwelling power of the Holy Spirit gives me the power to live above sin on a regular basis. 

As a believer, I can be secure in my life situation. Paul experienced good times and bad times. He established many churches and witnessed thousands trust Christ as their Savior, but he also experienced patience-trying and life-threatening situations. Yet he was secure. 

In another place, Paul wrote, I have learned, in whatever state I am, to be content. Learning that lesson isn’t easy or quick, but when I’ve mastered it, unpleasant situations won’t cause me to feel insecure. 

As God’s child, I can also be secure in my gifts. God gives all believers at least one gift of the Spirit, but most have more. My responsibility is to use it (or them) wisely, faithfully, and in ways that honor the God who gave them. 

Is your life hounded by insecurities? God can empower you to overcome them. 

Prayer: Father, we give our insecurities to you, believing You are able to help us conquer each one.

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment