Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Swim…Don’t WADE - Martin Wiles

So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. Matthew 14:29-30 NLT

My plans were in place, but circumstances beyond my control changed them. 

I was in college finally preparing for what God had called me to do: preach. However, I had always felt a part of that call was to teach as well. 

Twenty miles away was Troy State University. The university had a working relationship with my college. Any graduate could have all their credits transferred if they entered the Master’s program at Troy State. Within the space of one year, I could have my graduate degree and be certified in elementary education.  

A few months before graduation, my plans melted. I had recently quit my part time job and now my wife’s employer was telling her she was closing the business. By graduation night, we were both unemployed. 

To say the least, I was disappointed. I could preach, but my chance of teaching—at least in the public sector, had washed away. Peter may have felt the same when he tried to walk on water. Wasn’t he one of the disciples who had left his business immediately when Jesus called him to follow? Hadn’t he palled around with Him and listened intently to His teachings? Wasn’t he the one who really understood Jesus was the Messiah? Now he wanted to test his faith. But he was disappointed. When he saw the waves’ angry arms grasping at his ankles, he sank like a stone. 

Since I can’t swim, I’m not opposed to wading. But there is some wading I don’t care for, and it tends to happen when periods of disappointments wash over me. I tend to Worry. Even though God says worry is unnecessary because He’ll care for His children’s needs. 

I’m also prone to drift toward Anxiety. God’s Word also reminds me I don’t have to be anxious. Rather prayers and concerns can be submitted to God who’ll calm the waves.

When I wade, I can drift toward Depression. After all, depression is just around the corner when worry and anxiety are present. 

And the worst case scenario when I wade is that I’ll experience Emotional burnout. Rather than controlling my emotions, my emotions will control me. When moods fluctuate, trust in and service to God does also. 

So don’t WADE. Trust God regardless of your circumstances. 

Prayer: Father, thank You that no waves are too high that Your love and sustaining power can’t help us overcome. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment