Monday, July 11, 2016

Tearing Down Strongholds - Martin Wiles

We use God’s mighty weapons, not mere worldly weapons, to knock down the Devil’s strongholds. 2 Corinthians 10:4 NLT

Deer season had opened, and I was planning to bag “Mr. Buck.” 

Deer season in the lower regions of my state opens almost two months earlier than in the other areas. My neighbor was a retired pastor who loved to hunt deer. Not having a weapon, I decided to visit the local Walmart and select one that would help me capture my first deer. The shelves were filled with shotguns and rifles. Each had its advantages and disadvantages. 

After perusing the selection, I decided on one that wasn’t housed in the gun rack. It lay on a shelf nearby. It and its ammunition were cheaper. I selected my pellet/bb gun, took it to the counter, gave the clerk my $35, and hit the door. 

The next morning we were off bright and early. As I perched high in the tree, I saw Mr. Deer prancing my way. When he was in range, I zeroed in on him, pulled the trigger, watched the pellet bounce off his hide, and gawked as he swished his head around to lick the spot as if a fly was pestering him. I had chosen the wrong weapon. 

I’ll never bring down strongholds with the wrong weapons either. Strongholds are things that have a strong hold on me. I’ve fought with some that were very muscular and others that weren’t. I’ve wrangled with some that were sinful and others that were simply unhealthy and entangling. 

While it’s important to know whether or not the stronghold is sinful, it’s more essential to realize God is bigger and stronger than the stronghold—regardless of what it is. God wants to help me bring down strongholds—those that are sinful and those that aren’t. Both can accomplish the same thing. They distract, cause me to lose focus, ruin my testimony, harm my body, and prevent me from doing my best at God’s work. 

Choosing the right weapon to fight strongholds with is crucial. Just as a pellet gun won’t bring down a deer, so personal efforts without God’s guidance won’t destroy strongholds either. Worldly weapons won’t do; I need godly ones. Ones like prayer, Bible study, spiritual armor, books on faith, and close fellowship with other believers. 

Don’t try to fight your spiritual battles with the wrong weapons. God will supply the weapons that will ensure victory. All we have to do is ask. 

Prayer: Father, thank You for giving us the weapons that will bring down Satan’s strongholds in our lives.  

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment