Monday, April 4, 2016

Security in … - Martin Wilies

So the total number of Israelite men counted in the census numbered 601,730. Numbers 26:51 NLT

Numbers don’t always provide security; sometimes it’s found in other things. 

Our second born grandson is what I classify “high maintenance.” The first we could feed, rock to sleep, and place on the bed. He would stay there for hours. Still will. When awake, he was content to lie on the floor and entertain himself. While the second loves to be fed and rocked to sleep also, lying on the bed by himself doesn’t work. Occasionally, he’ll sleep for several hours, but it’s not the norm. Playing on a blanket on the floor doesn’t interest him either. My wife’s cure: “I’m fixin to swaddle him.” She places one of his blankets on the floor, nestles him in it, and wraps his arms and legs tightly. Once asleep, he’ll snooze for hours. Security. 

The book of numbers is aptly named. In this particular instance, it’s about the number of men who are of military age. When the leaders finished the second census, they gave the number to Moses and Eleazar, who both must have found great comfort in the results. More than 600,000 men would provide security as the people entered the Promised Land and faced their enemies. 

While security is often found in numbers, it’s not certain. Security is one of humanity’s basic needs, so it’s important I find it somewhere. Wrapping myself in a blanket or joining the military won’t necessarily provide it. 

Merely telling others I find security in my relationship with Christ is somewhat shallow. It goes deeper than a flippant statement. Details are needed. What’s involved in the relationship is crucial for me to understand and others to hear. 

Within the relationship is the knowledge God has accepted me into His family and that nothing can separate me from His love. He not only numbers me among his family but also among his friends. What He holds securely, no one can snatch. God actually enjoys hanging around with me. 

Knowing He is orchestrating the details of my life and maneuvering them to form me into His Son’s image is also comforting.  Believing this helps me view life’s events—pleasant or not, through a different lenses. Nothing happens randomly or by chance. Nor is it controlled by fate. 

A relationship with God is the source of ultimate security. What are you finding security in? 

Prayer: Father, we praise You for the security we can find in our walk with You.  

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment